Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to the blog for Carol Simons Huddleston where you can find out what projects I am working on, where my photography is being exhibited, which images I have sold, and which images of mine are being published. I envision this to also be a place where interested parties can view a selection of images grouped together from either my travels or events I have attended. I welcome your feedback on any and all content, thank you for visiting, and I hope you will return.


As a brief introduction, my love of photography initially came from my father, a mathematician by profession and amateur photographer all his life. As a result photography has been a constant in my life since I was young. Over the years my photography has evolved from the darkroom to the fast-paced digital age. I try to keep my images simple and governed by the theory “less is more.” I continue to learn and grow as a photographer and hope that my images influence others to see the world around them in a different light.


I was born in Vancouver, British Columbia and have also lived in the San Francisco Bay area in Berkeley, California and in the Willamette Valley in Corvallis, Oregon. Coming from the Pacific Northwest, I have never lost my love of the outdoors, which will always be one of my inspirations. Initially my goal was to study architecture and I continue to be drawn to its details, which are so often captured in my photographs. I also love to travel and briefly lived in Paris - a city I will continue to visit and photograph again and again.


While photography has been one of my passions for over thirty years, my professional career has included ten years on Capitol Hill working for Congressman Charlie Wilson of Texas (yes, that Charlie Wilson), followed by four years floundering in the private sector, bringing you to my current status as a self-employed residential appraiser throughout the Washington, DC area for the past sixteen-plus years. Much of my time and energy, however, is now focused on my lifelong love affair with art, specifically photography as an art form and the desire to be a working artist. While I still have a lot to learn, photography is the common denominator which brings it all together for me, allows me to express who I am, and gives me a voice I may not have otherwise had.


I am currently affiliated with the Workhouse Arts Center, 9601 Workhouse Way, Studio 608, Lorton, VA 22079, http://www.workhousearts.org/. My photography is also regularly exhibited at The Art League of Alexandria housed on the first floor of the Torpedo Factory in Old Town Alexandira.

No comments: